Inspiration: 1940s Post-War Fashions


Recently, I shared some early 40s fashion inspiration, but now it's time to look at the other end of the spectrum.


After the war, Dior came out with his New Look collection and while the average woman didn't jump on these fashions right away,  this style dominated the fashion world throughout the 1950s.


Luxuries like yards and yards of fabric were available again and everyone had more time for frivolities.


In my brain, the 1940s feminine ideal is this young, fresh girl while the 1950s ideal is a confident, sexy woman. That's an over generalization, of course, but that's my impression of the two decades.


There's something so mature and sophisticated about the New Look.


I love late 40s patterns for capturing a blending of the 40s and 50s look. I feel another inspiration post coming on!