Darkness Falls Teaser

A teaser from my new series, Darkness Falls. You can also read Chapter 1 on my blog.

“Time to die, Kayla.”
I’m not sure which one of the assholes says it.
They seize the chains and take me up the stairs, but I don’t make it easy for them. I kick and fight the whole way. But it doesn’t do any good. As strong as I am, there are too many of them. They drag me through the ridiculing crowd and back to the glass room. But just as they’re about to lock me up, Aiden runs up.
“Hold on,” he says, but one of the guards steps in front of him, sticks a hand out and shoves him back. “I just want to say good-bye to her. That’s all.” The guard doesn’t budge and he continues, “Please,” he says in his angelic voice. “She used to be a friend of mine.”
Winning the guard over, he steps aside and lets Aiden by.
I back up, not wanting him near me. “Stay away from me.”
He pulls me in for a hug anyway, backing us into a corner and pressing our bodies together, like we’re lovers. I think about kneeing him between the legs until he whispers, “The keys to cuffs.” He slips them and something else into the pocket of my jacket. “And a knife.”
Then he’s gone, pushing past the guards and disappearing down the hall. He doesn’t leave me an explanation or any instructions on what to do next. I think it’s right then and there that I realize just how well he knows me.
Because I can do a lot of damage with a knife. No instructions needed.