The Promise teaser

This hasn't been edited yet, so I apologize for any mistakes.


I stood alone, the sky dark, like on a rainy day, only there was no rain. The air was cold and crisp. Death was nearby; I could smell it, taste it, feel it. Through the leafless trees, I spotted three figures, hovering over something with their heads bowed.
I moved for the figures, my bare feet burning against the snow. The branches of the trees clawed at my flesh, trying to pull me backward, warning me not to go further. But I pressed on, pushing my way there, until I stepped out into the opening.
“Hello,” I called out to them, but the figures didn’t turn around.
Snowflakes fell from the sky, as I inched my way closer, wondering what they were looking at.
“I can’t believe she’s gone,” a girl sobbed. I knew that voice; it belonged to Aislin.
She was standing between Laylen and Alex and her sobs flooded the air. My heart leapt in my chest, but not out of excitement. No, it was out of fear.
I ran for them, but a flock of crows swooped from the trees and circled above me. I ducked down, shielding my head as I shooed the crows away, but they keeping swirling and diving and finally I let out a scream, which sent all of them scurrying except one. It dove over and circled above whatever they were looking at.
I kept making my way over, my heart knocking in my chest. Aislin took Laylen’s hand and they turned around. Both their eyes were glistened with tears as they look right through me and headed for the forest.
I turned back to Alex, whose head was still tipped down. “Alex,” I said softly.
He dragged his fingers through his hair and let out a sigh. “Forem,” he whispered and turned to leave. His green eyes sparkled with tears and I wanted nothing more than make his pain go away forever.
“Wait,” I called out, reaching for him, but he was already gone.
All that was left was a hole in the ground. I stepped over to it and looked down. There was a black coffin, with the lid open, and a girl lay inside it. Her eyes were shut, her skin as pale as snow, and her hands overlapped her heart where a single red rose rested.
“No,” my voice trembled as I backed away. “No, this can’t be happening.”
“Oh, but it is.”
I bumped into something solid and I didn’t have to turn around to know who it was.
I shook my head. “No, it’s not.”
A half faerie, half foreseer, and one-hundred percent dead Nicholas stepped in front of me. An evil grin spread across his face. “Yes, it is. And denial will get you nowhere.” He gestured over my shoulder at the hole that held the coffin. “Look again, Gemma. And I mean, really look this time.”
I shook my head again, but I stepped forward and peered down into the grave. There she was again, the dead girl resting in the coffin. “It’s not me,” I stammered.
“Look closer,” Nicholas purred.
I swallowed hard and leaned nearer. Suddenly the girl’s eyes whipped open. My own purple eyes were staring back at me. “No!” I screamed.
Nicholas laughed. “Welcome to the Afterlife, Gemma. Were only the soul survives.” He shoved me forward, into the hole in the ground.
I landed in the coffin. “No!” I cried, staring up at Nicholas, the crow perched on his shoulder. I start to get to my feet, but the coffin lid slipped shut, sealing me in my grave, with nothing but myself.
Forever.